Saturday, December 5, 2015

Happy Birthday Amy!


December 5, 2015

Early in December of 1967 we were waiting patiently for our first baby to come.  I was due December 17th and I wondered what it would be like. I had felt her move inside me for months, an experience that filled me with wonder. However, December 5th she decided to come.  We went to the old Dee Hospital where Doctor Johnson admitted me to Labor and Delivery. I needed a little help, so and IV was started.  Little did I know it would take all day and then some to get her here.  Amy was born at 7:17 p.m. Weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz.  She was beautiful, her little round face was perfect.  I never had felt this kind of joy before.

Amy decided to come right in the middle of Roger's finals at Weber State University, which was difficult, but he seemed to manage. During my whole pregnancy Roger insisted we were having a boy, so everything I bought in preparation was blue. My mother said "you need one thing pink," and she made me a soft pink quilt that was well used for many years.

We moved to the University of Utah when Amy was eight months old. She was so much fun to have around while Roger was at school and work for most of every day.  I started to read to Amy when she was three months old, and everyday we would read stories, sing songs and play.  I loved being a mother.

This is Amy's second birthday cake. I had taken a cake decorating 
class from Continuing Education in the Salt Lake School District 

We lived many places and Amy shared each one with us.  She was just two when we moved to Texas (San Antonio and El Paso); she was three when we moved back to Ogden, four when we went to Pima, Arizona, five when we came back to Granger, Utah; from there we moved to Provo, Utah, Sylmar, California, then back to Ogden and then to Peterson, Utah. 

Each of these places hold special memories for all of us.  In Granger, when I went to Parent Teacher Conference, the teacher said she didn't know Amy and she was sure she wasn't in her class. I said I was sure she came here everyday.  The teacher looked at her roll and there was Amy's name.  She said "Oh, she must be the little shy girl that sits at the back of the class."  The teacher was very embarrassed. That same thing happened in the sixth grade.  Mr. Goodrow said she wasn't in his class, and when he looked at the roll, there she was.  This time I wasn't so nice; we had been there three months.  He said there wasn't a score next to her name, so she would have to make up all the work that hadn't been entered. 

I told him that was not going to happen, that he would grade her on what she handed in from that point on.  He said he had some girls in the class enter the scores.  His mistake.  You do not want to upset the "Momma Bear."

Amy Senior Year at Morgan High School

Amy did well at the schools in Morgan.  She was in the drama program and in many plays.  She became the Drama Sterling Scholar and won the state scholarship, which she used when she went to BYU.  She was also a Student Body Officer at Morgan High School.  

It was during one of her many competitions that she met McKay Jensen, and her life was set on an amazing course from that day to this.

Amy and McKay's engagement picture

From the day of their marriage to today they have worked as a team.  Each building on the other's strengths and each supporting the other in every endeavor.  One of those endeavors took them to the University of Illinois, Champaign, Urbana, where Amy earned her Doctorate and Mckay his Masters; both came back with honors. 

But the most important part of that experience was the babies Amy carried home with her, Lauren and Lily.  These beautiful girls were born in Utah and became the most precious of all God's Gifts to their Mom and Dad, and a blessing for us all.

What a cute family! McKay, Amy, 
Lauren and Lily

Life at the Jensen's is busy to say the least.  The girls are in High School now, McKay is on the School Board and Amy is an Associate Dean at BYU.  

They are world travelers.  they have seen Rome and Denmark and many other places, participated in many cultural events in several countries.  The best trip for us, was when they came to see us here in Vermont.  We had a great time and will always be thankful they are in our lives.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY!
We Love you!

Note from Dad:  Five-year-old Amy and I bonded when we took a trip across the U.S. together with my folks.  Susan had just had Mary, so she couldn't go.  On that trip we experienced a tornado, four flat tires, traffic jams and little yellow car blues.  But we came back cemented together.  As we sat at the grave of David Whitmer, we realized that the Book of Mormon would always be a true witness. David Whitmer, even though he had left the Church, said, "I testify that I saw and held the plates of gold and that Joseph was a prophet."  This was written on his grave stone. 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment