Saturday, December 12, 2015

Missing Home!


December 12, 2015

Last night we had almost 400 people come into the Visitor Center to view Annie the Jerusalem donkey and Breezy and March the sheep.


 Each new family was greeted outside and invited into the Center for Christmas videos, or to have some refreshments (cookies and hot cider) in the residence. We finally got home about 10:00 p.m. We were just too tired to even go to bed.

The Ward Christmas party is tonight. It is potluck, and I have not even decided what to take.  We are at the Visitor Center all day today until three this afternoon, so hopefully I will think of something good and festive to take.  I miss my kitchen, I miss baking and preparing for my family to visit.  I feel like my cooking skills have been put on pause. 

Oh well, it is rewarding to have so many people come and enjoy these beautiful lights.  They are truly stunning this year.  About eighty percent of these visitors are not members of our Church, but they want to feel Christmas, and this is the best place in all New England for those feelings. I am happy to be here.


Rogers note:
The Jerusalem donkey shown here is a special breed noted for the cross on its withers and back.  We got this donkey from a Church member living in New Hampshire.  She brings it every year for the duration of the Christmas season.  During the season we get about 40,000 visits from people of New England.  Most just drive around the circle, just to see the LED light display.  

We put the donkey, with two Nubian sheep, at the center of the display so the children will come to the mangers and pet the animals.  We point out that it was a donkey like this one that carried Mary to Bethlehem.  And the sheep represent the shepherds, who were first to visit the Savior at his crib side.  Over 5,000 persons have stopped their cars and come to the manger and then into the Center to see messages on the Savior of the world. 

In all it has been a wonderful celebration this year.  The weather has been mild, and the lights very bright.  It is the best nativity display in all New England.    


1 comment:

  1. Mom, I miss your christmas tree cookies so much. I miss all of your cookies. I am so glad that I get to talk with you guys each week. Love you!

    ReplyDelete